Search for boy, 12, and his brother, 9, who went missing in Manchester

A SEARCH has been launched for two brothers who went missing from their home in Manchester.

Danny McLeish, 12, and his younger brother Kai, nine, were last seen near Levenshulme, in the south of the city.

Their current whereabouts are unknown but they may have travelled to the Gorton or Tameside area, police say.

The pair were last seen at around 11.30am today on Erneley Close in Levenshulme.

Danny is around 5ft tall and he was wearing grey jogging bottoms with a green parka jacket.

Kai is about 4ft tall and was wearing a green bubble jacket, black Nike trainers and shorts.

One of the brothers may be riding a bike.

Greater Manchester Police said: "Concerns are growing for their safety and family are desperate for information.

"If you have seen the brothers please call police immediately."

Anyone with further information can contact GMP on 101 quoting log number 88/31/03/20.

Alternatively call 0161 856 6516/63921.

Source: Read Full Article

As a dark cloud descends on Britain, YOU have been its silver lining

As a dark cloud descends on Britain, YOU have been its silver lining: Sir Thomas Hughes-Hallett, who founded NHS volunteers group Helpforce, says Britons will pull together to come through the coronavirus crisis 

  • Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

In these dark days, great comfort can be taken from the remarkable outpouring of goodwill and community spirit across the United Kingdom as people seek to help.

 Whether it be letters posted to elderly neighbours with contact details if they need anything or community volunteer groups set up on social media, there can be no doubt a great sense of spirit exists.

This has been wonderfully harnessed by the Health Secretary Matt Hancock, who launched a campaign for a volunteer ‘army’ of 250,000 people on Tuesday afternoon. 

Just 24 hours later, a staggering 504,000 people had come forward looking to ease the pressure on overburdened health professionals fighting Covid-19, while bringing happiness to the lives of fellow human beings at their most vulnerable.

 Those looking to do the same in Scotland, however, may have been disappointed. As health is devolved, Mr Hancock’s good-spirited campaign does not apply here – and sadly the Scottish Government has so far failed to take a similar approach. 

Secretary of State for Health and Social Care Matt Hancock leaves 10 Downing Street on Wednesday in London, England

As Volunteer Scotland points out, there is no shortage of people who are desperate to help – driving people to hospital, picking up medicines or delivering supplies – but much great co-ordination is needed. 

The Government, alongside local councils, can ensure that those who step forward are doing the tasks that will help the most and, crucially, are able to keep themselves safe. 

More strategy is needed from ministers to ensure the work of these volunteers will respond to need at different stages of this national health crisis, such as when we are in the eye of the storm, then during the clear-up exercise that will follow.

As Nicola Sturgeon rightly said yesterday, it will be some time before life returns to normal, so we all need to look out for ourselves and each other. 

Volunteering has to be a way of doing this. The First Minister has agreed to consider whether more national coordination is required. 

For the sake of vulnerable people around the country and our hard-pressed NHS, it is crucial she delivers. 

Protect NHS heroes 

Hospital staff and ambulance staff prepare to take a patient into the Royal Liverpool University Hospital, on Monday when Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said the Government is ready to impose tougher restrictions to curb the spread of the coronavirus if people do not follow the guidance on social distancing

The virus’s spread has exposed how woefully underprepared Britain was to tackle a pandemic. A lack of intensive care beds. Too few ventilators. Medics scrabbling to buy protective clothing from DIY stores. And, perhaps most seriously, a dearth of testing kits. 

Because medical staff aren’t checked for Covid-19, those with symptoms must stay at home – even if not infectious. Yet those same doctors and nurses are desperately needed on the frontline as the NHS edges close to collapse. 

Meanwhile, it’s welcome that ministers have bought 3.5million tests to show if medics are immune, and can return to work safely. If the kits arrive within days, rather than weeks, it would be a huge leap forward in controlling the disease. 

So far, though, the Government has been lamentably behind the curve. It must raise its game… fast.

Banks must change

In the decade since rapacious banks sparked the global financial crash have they learned nothing about social responsibility? Incredibly, it seems not. 

Last week, the Government pledged to pull out all the stops to ensure the economy survived coronavirus. Businesses, suddenly struggling, were promised year-long loans at ‘attractive’ rates – helping them and their staff traverse the turmoil. 

Yet we learn one iniquitous lender is threatening to charge a usurious 12 per cent when the grace period expires (the base rate is a measly 0.1 per cent). 

That wouldn’t save firms and jobs. It would dash them against the commercial rocks Not long ago, the taxpayer rescued the Square Mile. The City must now help save us – not brazenly profiteer. 

Source: Read Full Article

Prince Charles is the first British royal to have coronavirus

The novel coronavirus crisis has reached the British royal family, as Prince Charles, 71, has now tested positive for COVID-19. As Variety reported on March 25, Clarence House confirmed the royal’s diagnosis, saying that while the Prince of Wales is experiencing some “mild symptoms,” he “otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual.” 

Charles’ 72-year-old wife, Duchess of Cornwall Camilla Parker-Bowles, tested negative for coronavirus, but has been self-isolating with her husband. The Associated Press reported their tests were carried out by Scotland’s National Health Service.

Queen Elizabeth’s son is the first senior royal to test positive for the virus, as well as the first British royal family member. Prince Albert II of Monaco tested positive last week, according to NPR. And as Variety noted, both royals attended a WaterAid charity event on March 10, where they “sat opposite from one another in a cramped boardroom.”

Archduke of Austria Karl von Habsburg also tested positive last week and spoke of the diagnosis with oe24, a news network in the country. “It’s annoying, but I’m fine. It’s not the Black Plague,” he said on air (per Vanity Fair).

The royals take precautions amid the COVID-19 pandemic

Prince Charles’ last public appearance was on March 12 when he attended a dinner and reception in London, according to Variety. The event fell before the monarch released a statement saying the royal family would be taking measures to ensure their safety.

“We know that many individuals and families across the United Kingdom, and around the world, are entering a period of great concern and uncertainty,” the Queen said in the March 19 statement. “At times such as these, I am reminded that our nation’s history has been forged by people and communities coming together to work as one, concentrating our combined efforts with a focus on the common goal.”

The palace said on March 13 that Queen Elizabeth, 93, and Prince Philip, 98, would be leaving for Windsor Castle for the Easter holiday a week earlier than planned in light of the pandemic, and they would extend their stay due to the circumstances, WWD reported. All senior royals are postponing their travel plans and Prince George, 6, and Princess Charlotte, 4, are being homeschooled from Kensington Palace, according to Harper’s Bazaar.

Queen Elizabeth continues to be in good health

It’s unclear how Prince Charles contracted the virus or how it is being treated. As various outlets noted, the prince made it a point to avoid physical contact with others ahead of his diagnosis. He began greeting people with a simple “Namaste,” rather than with a handshake or kiss on the cheek. He had also been practicing self-quarantine, along with wife Camilla Parker-Bowles, in their Balmoral Castle residence in Scotland. The pair even postponed their royal tour of Bosnia, Herzegovina, Cyprus, and Jordan due to the crisis, according to Express

“It is not possible to ascertain from whom the prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks,” Clarence House said, according to the Associated Press.

“Her Majesty the queen remains in good health,” Buckingham Palace said, according to the outlet, adding that she and Prince Philip remain in Windsor. “The queen last saw the Prince of Wales briefly after the investiture on the morning of 12th March and is following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare.”

Charles is currently self-isolating in his castle as the virus continues to spread in the U.K. As of now, 8,077 cases and 422 deaths have been reported, according to Business Insider.

Source: Read Full Article