CHELSEA are eyeing up a big summer rebuild to back Frank Lampard when the transfer window opens – with the club's transfer ban lifted.
We have the latest transfer talk on the likes of Gabriel Magalhaes, Alex Telles and Philippe Coutinho and – but the Blues could miss out on Bayern Munich goalkeeper Manuel Neuer.
Meanwhile, should Chelsea hope to sign Jadon Sancho, they will need to be playing Champions League football next season.
Follow all the latest updates and gossip from West London below…
Antoine Griezmann wants to take Philippe Coutinho’s shirt number at Barcelona next season.
Griezmann has worn No 17 since joining Barca from Atletico Madrid last summer, but has now set his sights on No 7 – currently worn by Coutinho.
“I would like to get the number seven shirt again,” Griezmann said during a live Twitch stream.
Barcelona are open to offers for Coutinho this summer and will consider bids in the region of €80m (£69.45m).
Chelsea boss Frank Lampard is thought to be keen on the Brazilian given his proven Premier League quality.
MORNING CHELSEA FANS
The Blues have reportedly been given a boost in their quest to sign Jadon Sancho with the Borussia Dortmund ace ready to reject Manchester United if they fail to secure Champions League football.
Sancho is the prime target for United in the next transfer window but the huge uncertainty created by the coronavirus crisis means the Borussia Dortmund star has no need to hurry any decision.
But should the Red Devils land Sancho, then it could pave the way for Chelsea to complete the signing of Barcelona's Philippe Coutinho.
Spanish outlet Sport are reporting that the United have stolen the march on the Blues in the race to sign Sancho meaning Frank Lampard's side are likely to turn their attention to Barcelona's Coutinho.
Reportedly boss Lampard has asked Stamford Bridge owner Roman Abramovich for a substantial war chest to strengthen his attacking resources this summer.
And Sancho is also being chased by Callum Hudson-Odoi, with the England winger wanting to play his compatriot on Fifa 20.
Speaking to MOTDx, the teenage he said: “Listen, do you know who I’m calling? I’m calling this person on purpose because he always thinks he’s better than me but he knows he’s not. I’m calling Sanch. Jadon Sancho.
“I’m waiting for you to play me right now. I don’t care where you are, what you’re doing, you need to play me. Make sure you’re ready.”
In other news, Chelsea are reportedly battling Arsenal for the signature of Achraf Hakimi – with the Moroccan full-back impressing on loan at BVB.
The Athletic state that should Real Madrid want to offload him, the two London clubs are ready to snap him up.
And finally, TEAMtalk state the Gunners are ready to hand Willian a two-year deal should the Brazilian not sign a new deal at the Bridge.
Ligue 1 side Stade de Remis are in shock tonight after club doctor Bernard Gonzalez tragically committed suicide after contracting coronavirus.
According to reliable reports in Le Parisien, the 60-year took his own life at home on Sunday afternoon, linking his death with getting COVID-19.
It is understood he was in quarantine with his wife – who also had the virus – when the devastating incident occurred.
He is believed to have written a suicide note, explaining the reasons he killed himself.
His death has said to have caused heartbreak throughout the city in northern France, according to its mayor Arnaud Robinet.
He added: “He was the club doctor. A great professional, recognised and appreciated by all.
“I have a touched thought for his parents, for his wife, his family.
“He is a collateral victim of COVID-19, because it had been detected positive and was inside for a fortnight.
“I know he left a note to explain his gesture, but I ignore its content. He was a committed man.”
PAY 'N DISMAY
EXCLUSIVE by Mark Irwin: Some Premier League clubs fear they are being pushed into an unwanted war with their players by top-flight rivals.
Teams are alarmed by the PFA’s rejection of the proposal for ALL players to take a wage cut or pay deferral of up to 30 per cent.
And while some billionaire club owners are ready for a confrontation, others want to ease off and reach an amicable compromise agreement with the players’ union, who fear the wage-cut proposal will cost the Government £200million in lost taxes.
More talks are planned this week and a number of chief executives are looking to take the heat out of the situation.
But there is a growing feeling that at least three clubs are looking to take advantage of the coronavirus crisis to slash their annual wage bills.
PFA bosses are angry their members are being singled out for criticism after Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle, Norwich and Bournemouth put non-playing staff on furlough.
Top-flight stars feel they are being blamed for the actions of owners who are asking the taxpayer to pick up the tab for their lowest-paid workers.
Both the Champions League and Europa League could be ABANDONED if coronavirus shutdown continues, warns Uefa chief Aleksander Ceferin.
The Uefa boss added that playing behind closed doors would be the preferred option to scrapping games all together.
Ceferin told ZDF Sportstudio: “We are waiting for the development of this terrible situation in the world, and mainly in Europe. Football isn’t the same without fans. But it is definitely better to play with fans than without fans.
“The thing is, football is absolutely not the same without spectators.
“But it is still better to play the game behind closed doors and have it on TV, which is what the people need and want because it brings positive energy to their homes, than not playing at all.
“That’s what the people want, that brings positive energy, and it will be July or August. We can’t play it out in September or October.”
“If the authorities do not allow us to play, then we cannot play.”
Source: Read Full Article